AANS on the Web

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AANS on the Web

Archers Association of Nova Scotia Forum

Archery lessons for Youth?

JashimChando

Archery lessons for Youth? Empty Archery lessons for Youth?

Post by JashimChando Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 am

Most range I know of will only start kids at 8, 6 is pushing it. I'm a coach, when dealing with 6 year olds, it's hard enough, I can't imagine a 3 year old.

Most youth bows made today aren't made for kids that small, there's a new one from Martin, it's ambidextrous and a very short bow. But even then the weight is about 15 pounds, more than most 3 year olds can pull. Hoyt used to make the K-Bow, great little bows, but also the weight is around 15-20 pounds.

The worst case scenario, the kid will try it out, won't be able to hit the target and gets frustrated, I've had a situation like that with a 6 year old a few years back. Had the parents waited 2 years, the kid would probably still be shooting now.

My suggestion is to wait. Later on when the boy is old enough, take him to an archery range and take a lesson. If you're in the US, some places offer the lesson for free. Alternatively the boy can join a JOAD, short for Junior Olympic Archery Development. JOAD is geared for competition. It has a ranking system and such.

Later on, if you do decide to get the boy a private coach, or JOAD also actually, then you need to do your homework. Looking at certification alone doesn't guarantee that you get a good coach. To top it off a good coach for me might be bad for you. Coach and athlete relationship depends a lot on the personalities involved. Some athletes need stern hand while others need a softer approach. A very good coach can

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 pm