AANS on the Web

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AANS on the Web

Archers Association of Nova Scotia Forum

3 posters

New Archery Club in Pictou County

Springfieldestate

New Archery Club in Pictou County Empty New Archery Club in Pictou County

Post by Springfieldestate Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 am

[center]NORTHUMBERLAND STRAIT SHOOTERS ARCHERY CLUB has just been formed in Pictou county. Presently we are shooting indoors (til end of April) at Micheline Club, Granton,on Tuesday nights. All are welcome to attend. For more info phone 396-5937 Laughing
    archer2

New Archery Club in Pictou County Empty Re: New Archery Club in Pictou County

Post by archer2 Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:49 pm

Allan, has the club joined AANS yet. You'll, I think, receive a recurve bow or a Genesis compound bow for your club if and when you do.
    I think that rule still applies for new clubs joining AANS anyways.
    huntwisely
    Admin

Post by huntwisely Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:52 am

Yes, Numberland Strait Shooters Archers Club has joined AANS and will be included with the next upload to the FCA.
    Springfieldestate

Post by Springfieldestate Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:44 am

Have had 2 shoot nights with 14 personseach night. 21 members and counting. Both recurve and Compound
    huntwisely
    Admin

Post by huntwisely Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 am

From the New Glasgow paper- via Allan Collie

Northumberland Strait Shooters Club already a big hit
    New Glasgow News

Published on March 31st, 2010

Adam MacInnis

Topics :

Northumberland Strait Shooters Archery Club , Michelin Club , Let Abilities Work Partnership Society

Starting up a new archery club may have seemed like a shot in the dark, but it appears to have hit a bull’s eye.

Last week more than 20 people showed up for the first official meeting of the Northumberland Strait Shooters Archery Club at the Michelin Club in Granton.

The response has been excellent says Allan Collie who has dreamed about opening such a club for the last couple years since he began shooting.

The new club is a partnership of sorts between archery enthusiasts and the Let Abilities Work Partnership Society, a community- based group which seeks to improve the lives of people with disabilities.

Let Abilities Work has been running their own archery program for about a year but decided to join up with the other archers to form the new club.

The people are of all backgrounds, Collie said. Some are bow hunters, others are purely target shooters. Some use compound bows. Others prefer recurve.

“Able, disabled – anybody can come and enjoy themselves if they want to,” says Philip Fisher one of the organizers.

George Simms was one of the new archers to sign up for the club last week.

“I mostly hunt but it’s a good way to get out and shoot in the meantime,” he said. “It’s fun.”

Simms’ son bought him a bow after he retired and he’s enjoyed shooting it ever since.

“I got a deer with it last fall,” he says.

But hunting is not what he enjoys most about shooting the bow.

“It’s the practice with the young fellows around home,” he said. “There’s four or five guys with bows and we get together and shoot. We do that on the weekends. That seems to be more fun than the actual hunting part of it.”

Until now he’s mostly shot with friends at one of their homes.

There’s lots of people with bows in the county,” he said. “Some days last summer I’d go to my sons and there would be five or six guys there shooting.”

It’s nice now to have a club to be part of, he said.

“Here I might learn because there are guys who have shot for a lot of years,” he said.

”They have a lot of experience.”

The club plans to continue shooting at the Michelin club for the next few weeks, where they have a safety net set up to stop any arrows that stray from the mark. As the weather improves, they’ll likely move outdoors though, Collie said.

Eventually they’d like to be able to start an after school archery program in the schools.

“There’s an archery in-the-schools program operating in the county, so we’d like to be able to offer an extension of that,” Collie said.

For now they will be content to make new friendships and shoot.

“It takes lots of practice, but the basic archery is fairly easy to learn,” Collie says.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:05 am