AANS on the Web

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AANS on the Web

Archers Association of Nova Scotia Forum

2 posters

Buying A Recurve Bow, Need Advice

videshii

Buying A Recurve Bow, Need Advice Empty Buying A Recurve Bow, Need Advice

Post by videshii Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 am

Hello!

I'm new to the forums - my name's Chris Turner. Though I used to shoot a practice bow for years, I only recently got into taking an archery class in Halifax. Whether or not I continue to shoot there, I'm absolutely certain I want to become a really good archer on my own time (my Dad got a kid's compound bow for fun at the camp that I shoot for about 5 hours a day when I'm there).

So I'm looking to buy my first bow, and I'd rather use recurves. I've been doing a lot of research online, have called a few places in and around Halifax, and have pretty much settled on the idea of ordering one online. I was going to go with Ebay originally, but it seems like I can get a new one for an equivalent price on Cabela's, and I can at least be fairly certain of quality from there (though one bow there has dodgy reviews in terms of snapping!).

I think I'm going to go with the Vista Sage 62" Take-Down Bow, though I haven't measured my arm length and divided by 2.5 yet (is that right? That's what I've read).

My main question, besides just looking for some general advice, is about poundage. I've used some 30 pound recurves, and I've found that it's really easy for me to pull back the string, and I would have no problem holding it by my face for a prolonged period of time if I wanted to. The Vista Sages start at 45 pounds (out of stock, currently), and go up to 55 pounds. I'm thinking I might just start out at 55 pounds, and if I find it difficult well, I'll get stronger. I'm not adverse to working out, I tend to do that anyway.

So - what's your advice, arching community? =)

LadySteel

Buying A Recurve Bow, Need Advice Empty Re: Buying A Recurve Bow, Need Advice

Post by LadySteel Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Welcome to the AANS!!!

I have a few opinions on the subject as I shoot a recurve.

I honestly don't believe there is much difference in brands of bows (It is the Ford versus Chevy thing, but my opinion is to to buy something that can be serviced locally if you should have a problem...you don't know how many times this has saved me....so look at the dealers and see what they sell, and choose from them then if you have a problem it will save shipping to fix it. Plus with shipping and taxes it will workout about the same so maybe buy locally.

As for going up to 55 lbs pounds...I am going to say forget it just yet. If you want to be a good archer- especially recurve you need to learn good form and muscle memory and that is hard enough when trying to pull too much weight. 55 lbs bows are for olympic guys who have trained for 10 years and worked up to it. But the beauty of a takedown is you can buy new limbs and increase the weight. Some brands even have adjustment in the weight on the bow + or- 5% so a 35 lb bow can go up to 38 or down to 32. I can list about ten people ( myself included ) who thought they would`grow into`the weight and became frustrated and quit, bought a new bow or never really learned to shoot well.Or worse-hurt themselves

Two years ago I have my bow up to 38 pounds( doesn`t sound unrealistic) and spent most of the summer in pain, sore and miserable. I turned it down to a realistic weight and enjoy it more. I will keep turning it up, but, at slower pace. And occasionally I am known for getting in near the center.

You didn`tsay how old you are but 55 lbs is too much for a young person still growing....really tough on the still growing body.

As for length of bows...that is what tech support is for at the compnay...they will answer all questions. They want to keep you happy and liking your bow...get to know them.

videshii

Post by videshii Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 am

Great advice, thanks! All right, I'll start with the 40 pound I guess, since that's the lowest that this brand seems to go at. I'm a 31 year old man, as well, and I'm pretty strong. If I find 30 pounds easy I can't see 40 being much of a problem for me.

Cabela's seems like a good company to start with, but I'm not done my research yet. Do you know of any other reliable online companies?
    videshii

Post by videshii Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 am

Update: I decided to start with a 30 pound anyway, since it seems it's not difficult to get higher weight limbs quickly and easily.

My bow's on the way! Whoot!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:22 pm