AANS on the Web

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AANS on the Web

Archers Association of Nova Scotia Forum

general tips and principles on archery?

JashimChando

general tips and principles on archery? Empty general tips and principles on archery?

Post by JashimChando Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:45 am

Archery doesn't need to be expensive. As a matter of fact, to most of the people in Los Angeles, it's free. So the first thing I would do is, if he really enjoys it, find a range near you. I don't know what country you're in, but if you're in the US, try www.usarchery.org and see if there's a range near you. Other countries also have archery organizations that will often time lists local ranges/clubs. Then there's the SCA, a medieval reenactor group, www.sca.org.

The principles of form still applies whether you use a $2000 bow or a stick and a string. Archery is about repetition, doing the same thing over and over again. The trick is to find one thing that is easy to repeat.

The first part to get right is called the anchor. When you shoot a bow, you draw that arrow back, then you have to fix the back end of that arrow to the same spot each and every time. Now using a wooden skewer, I don't know how long those skewers are and how long your brother's arms are. Usually the archer's anchor is somewhere on his face, so he need to draw that arrow back far enough such that the back end of the arrow is on his face. Olympic archers use the most repeatable anchor out there by touching the string to the chin bone, and the bone of your index finger to the jaw bone. This bone on bone contact makes it solid and repeatable, but the location is not conducive to instinctive shooting. So instinctive shooters use different anchor points, usually closer to their eyes. Some touch the tip of their index finger to their teeth, or their cheek bone.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 am