AANS on the Web

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AANS on the Web

Archers Association of Nova Scotia Forum

2 posters

Canada Games Volunteers

CFBFITA
    CFBFITA

Canada Games Volunteers Empty Canada Games Volunteers

Post by CFBFITA Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:16 am

Hi folks

Some of you may already know that I have accepted the position of Archery Sport Leader for the 2011 Canada Winter Games. Over the next three years I will be responsible for managing the committee that puts on the event at Sackville High. That committee will be made up of volunteers from our archery community.

The Canada Games are celebration of youth sports and citizenship. This event not only promotes excellence in athletics but provides a pivotal experience in the lives of young athletes. Participating in the journey to the games infuses the leaders of tomorrow with that intangible essence of what it means to be Canadian. Volunteers enable these experiences to happen.

The other mission of the games is the legacy they leave in the host province. This event has a budget of seven million dollars and some of that is for certifying coaches and officials to a national standard. You could be one of them. Facilities will be upgraded and human capital will be developed. A million dollars will be left as a legacy fund in the host province to make a lasting impact.

I will be looking for approximately 30 folks who want to play a part in this project. There are roles of every size, from traffic attendants to Director of Shooting. Larger roles will require a week of your time in 2011. Smaller roles may only require an afternoon here and there.

I don’t want to get anyone too excited at this time as the enthusiasm will be hard to sustain over three years. There is a vetting process required by the larger games committee and I have to work through them to clear volunteers. I will outline this process later. However, I urge you to think about playing a part, big or small.

Laurie Bolivar
    Archery Sport Leader
    2011 Winter Games.
    CFBFITA
    CFBFITA

Canada Games Volunteers Empty Correction

Post by CFBFITA Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Just a quick correction to the above, money is avaliable for judge certification, not coaching. AANS is the funding source for coaching.
    CFBFITA
    CFBFITA

Canada Games Volunteers Empty Further information on volunteering

Post by CFBFITA Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi folks

As promised, here is some further information on becoming a volunteer for the Canada Games. The first step is obviously to let me know but the second is a little more formal. You must send an email to the address below.

volunteer@canadagames2011.ca

In the email you must mention the following:

-That you are interested in being a volunteer in the indoor ARCHERY event at the winter games.
    -Give a bio about yourself or a resume. Do not get hung up on this. It can be brief and should concentrate on your archery experience. How long have you been involved in archery? Have you attended any competitions? Do you have any certifications? By all means, if you are an accredited judge OR INTEND TO BE ONE, this would be the time to say so.
    -Indicate that you wish your name to be brought to the attention of Gary Furlong. (He’s the Director of Operations for the games)
    -Indicate what kind of role you’d like to play if you have a preference.

This email will get you into the Canada Games pool and from which I will pick my volunteers. More importantly, it gets you into the volunteer party at the end (which I heard would be THE place to be.) You should get a message back confirming you’ve applied soon after you send your email.

There may be interviews but if I know you then that may be waived. There will be a criminal record check (paid for by the Host Society).

I need a lot of people to run the event, particularly to score the athlete’s arrows and report back each end to the head scorer. I hope you will consider lending sometime to this. I think it’s a very special journey and promises to be lots of fun.

Laurie Bolivar
    Archery Sport Leader
    2011 Winter Games.
    cheers
    CFBFITA
    CFBFITA

Canada Games Volunteers Empty Re: Canada Games Volunteers

Post by CFBFITA Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Further to my call for volunteers above, those who wish to volunteer for the Canada Games should use the CareerBeacon website. I have included a link below. The first thing you should do is follow the link and make yourself an account on the website. THIS IS FREE. Then use the link again to login and see the main Canada Games page. You can click on the spot for Volunteer Opportunities and Planning Volunteers to see job descriptions and apply. I know this is a little harder to follow than the previous email address but the new site will help the organizers to quickly sort through applications.

Hope to see you apply,

Laurie Bolivar

http://www.careerbeacon.com/corpprof/canadagames2011/index.html
    Altius

Post by Altius Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 am

hi check out information about Canada Games 2011, schedule, winter game events, venues, sports, participating cities, medal tally and more here..

Canada Games 2011

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am